Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Oath's first treasure basket

Do you remember my last (and completely unrelated to anything) 10 things... list? I managed to achieve 5 out of 10 (numbers 1, 2, 6, 8 and 10), so it wasn't that bad, but not a huge success either. But I'm not here today to talk about this. I am here to talk about number 1. Do you remember number 1?

  1. Start a treasure basket for Oath.

A treasure basket is a basket (duh!) or other open container full of baby-safe things, interesting for their colors, textures, materials, sizes... They can have an ongoing theme (nature baskets, made only with things directly out of nature, like rocks, leaves, shells, pinecones... for example) or not, and depending on the items they are suitable for babies up to 2 years old (or more, as everything, it depends on the kid!). As soon as they can sit unassisted they are ready for treasure baskets.
Oath has been sitting unassisted for a while now, but Christmas and the exams period got in my way and I didn't start the basket until late January. But once I started, it was so fast! First, I got the basket:


I plan on changing it as soon as I get my hands on some multicolored balls of chunky yarn. This one if wooden and not of the best quality, so I am afraid it can break if Oath gets rough, and don't want to risk it. For now it works, with the cloth lining and under my constant supervision, but I hope I can crochet a new, rainbow-y basket, soon and change it.

All the things I put in I already had around. There is:
  • A natural sponge
  • A plasticky fake lottery ticket
  • A black small bag
  • One of his spoons
  • A wooden spoon
  • A button bracelet
  • A red crocheted bin
  • A plastic telephone with a bell inside
  • Two metallic jar lids, one yellow, one red (the red isn't in the pic because he was playing with it at the time)
  • Comb
  • Two big corks (one plastic, one real cork)
  • Felt ball with a jingle bell inside
  • A crocheted brown arm-warmer (it appears as black, though)
  • A plastic Nutella lid
  • Two sheer fabric bags
  • A train-shaped teether
  • A crochet owl
  • A wooden blue E letter
  • A baby brush
  • A plastic measuring spoon
  • A wooden articulated snake/crocodile
  • A small mirror (the unbreakable kind, of course)
  • A small Tupperware glass/cup/measuring thingie.
  • A maraca.
  • A crocheted gecko bookmark like this one (not pictured because he was playing with it.)


There's a lot of space still left, and I'll keep my eyes open looking for new things, but for now I am glad to say it is kind of "finished". And such a success! He loves sitting there taking things out and (at times) putting them back in, biting, looking, touching, hitting, throwing them around. Win!


Oath's Mom

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I bet he does love going through that basket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he does! Store bought toys entertain him for all of 10 seconds; this basket has him playing by himself for more than half an hour. All while learning!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...